Requesting Department of State Information

If you are unable to find the information you are looking for online, you may wish to file a request for Department of State records.

You may request information through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) or the Privacy Act. You may also request Mandatory Declassification Review (MDR). You are encouraged to learn more about these programs prior to making a request.

Please review all information for accuracy prior to submitting your request. Duplicate requests for the same information may delay our response to you. If you have already submitted your request and wish to correct it, please note that you are amending your request when providing additional information.

If you would like to make a FOIA request for records maintained by the Office of the Inspector General (OIG), please go to Office of the Inspector General Freedom of Information Act.

If you would like a copy of your Passport Records directly from the Office of Passport Services without having to file a FOIA request, please go to: Obtain Copies of Passport Records.

To help you to identify the correct agency to contact for the records you are seeking, you may wish to visit USA.gov for a breakdown of federal agencies by topic.

Helpful Information for Making a Proper Request

More Information